Saturday, January 2, 2010

Back in Brighton

I'm back in Brighton. It's weird though. The whole time I was back in the states I kept thinking "When can I go back to Brighton?!?!" but now my whole idea is "When can I go back to Wenona?!?!?" It's interesting to find that no matter where I go there is always a party of me wanting to go back where my family is.

New Years was amazing here though. We ended up just staying in the building for the beginning of the night. Of course had a big dance party and had a blast. Then the idea came up that we needed to be down on the beach to actually ring in the New Year. This was a great idea for the boys since they were all wearing pants and long sleeve shirts but Jenaan and I were quite cold walking down to the seafront with our dresses on. But it was all worth it in the end!

The atmosphere on the beach was amazing! All along the seafront people were setting off fireworks, sparklers, and firecrackers! Then to top it off small groups of people were lighting these huge lanterns that would take off and fly over the ocean. When I was looking at the lanterns I couldn't help but think that this was a way of saying goodbye to 2009, light it up and watch it blow away all the bad things that happened. At that moment I wish I had one to say goodbye to my past. When the time did switch to 2010 I looked around and saw all of these people hugging, kissing loved ones, and I realized that if I would have stayed at home I NEVER would have experienced this. Yes I would have been with friends and family that I care about but I would still be in my safe little box.

I guess this is when Cameron's amazing idea set in. The big moment of celebrating the New Year would be all of us stepping into the freezing ocean water. Because I mean seriously, when else can you say you were in England on New Year's and stuck your feet in the water right on the beach front? And so we did, Jenaan, Cameron, Aniruddh, and me barefoot walking down the chilly pebble beach towards the even icier water. But somehow it seemed to make the New Year really come in. I can't believe I'm saying it but walking into that cold water was like, well, washing off all of the bad stuff from 2009 and saying let's start clean and fresh.

After the beach extravaganza, we all headed in to warm up and of course have a few more drinks. The party moved down to our flat and music and dancing continued. I ended up not going to sleep that night until 7. I was in my own way saying goodbye to some old ghosts and hello to my new future.

And so now here it is January 2, 2010. I haven't done a lot to make the New Year count but perhaps in some way I started my New Year back in September. Because you see September was when I decided that coming to England was the next step in my life. So maybe December 31st wasn't my New Year perhaps September 27th was. And if that's the case all I have to say is: Hi New Year, where have you been? I've been waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment